The first thing to understand about mold is that there is a little mold everywhere indoors and outdoors. It’s in the air and can be found on plants, foods, dry leaves, and other organic materials.
It’s very common to find molds in homes and buildings. After all, molds grow naturally indoors. And mold spores enter the home through doorways, windows, and heating and air conditioning systems. Spores also enter the home on animals, clothing, shoes, bags and people.
When mold spores drop where there is excessive moisture in your home, they will grow. Common problem sites include humidifiers, leaky roofs and pipes, overflowing sinks, bath tubs and plant pots, steam from cooking, wet clothes drying indoors, dryers exhausting indoors, or where there has been flooding.
Many of the building materials for homes provide suitable nutrients for mold, helping it to grow. Such materials include paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products, dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.
Per your lease agreement you are responsible for mitigating everyday mold and mildew. You are required to notify us about any water leaks immediately.
Exposure to mold
Everyone is exposed to some amount of mold on a daily basis, most without any apparent reaction. Generally mold spores can cause problems when they are present in large numbers and a person inhales large quantities of them. This occurs primarily when there is active mold growth.
Should I be concerned about mold in my home?
If indoor mold is extensive, those in your home can be exposed to very high and persistent airborne mold spores. It is possible to become sensitized to these mold spores and develop allergies or other health concerns, even if one is not normally sensitive to mold.
Left unchecked, mold growth can cause structural damage to your home as well as permanent damage to furnishings and carpet.
If you can see or smell mold, then you should take steps to clean-up the mold. A little bleach and scrubbing is the best way to combat mold. Mold growth is likely to continue unless the source of moisture is removed and the contamination so please notify us immediately of any leaks present in your home.
How do I remove mold from my home?
First address the source of moisture that is allowing the mold to grow. Then clean it up. Here’s a helpful link to learn more about cleaning mold and mildew in your home: Link